Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"Shall we not take the adventure that Aslan hands us?" (one of the Narnia books)

Which is kind of an unnatural (for me) way of viewing life. I so envy those people who can embrace each new day with courage and confidence, who can glory in hardship because to them it is just another "adventure", just another opportunity to explore God's grace. I don't know, are there those people? Maybe hardship creates those people?

Isn't it funny how when you go out of state for just a few days the time speeds by, but you feel like you've been gone forEVER (and your homework testifies to this...)

2 comments:

Beth said...

It's interesting that you say maybe hardship creates adventurous people. I think every challenge prepares me for the next one...I move an inch outside my comfort zone, discover that God is there too, and think to myself, well perhaps He can be trusted a bit further...

I wonder, are timid people perhaps MORE apt to have adventures? Sometimes I think I experience as much stress attending a company picnic as my friends experience traveling overseas, or teaching in inner-city Chicago. Am I hemmed in by my fears? Or am I simply finding my adventures closer to home?

Leta said...

That's so true. We tend to classify struggles and think, "Well the really bad thing hasn't happened to me yet, so I'm sure that's coming sometime soon." Instead of recognizing all the tough spots he sustains us through everyday, and that sanctify us even though they seem trivial to us.