Sunday, September 9, 2007

Books

Yesterday I accumulated new books, which is always extremely satisfying. It makes me feel sort of warm for days. :-) I went to a library book sale, and the best part of that, besides cheapness, was that all the children's books were unalphebetized in boxes on a tarp on the ground, so you had to crawl around on the tarp and dig through the boxes to find your books. It definitely added to the experience. Very rewarding. Anyway, I also went to Borders and I found a really wonderful book called "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane" by Kate DiCamillo. It's about a self-absorbed china rabbit who is separated from his little girl and goes through a series of very different owners. Here are just a few quotes from it:

"It was a singular sensation to be held so gently and yet so fiercely to be stared down at with so much love..."
It made me wonder, is that how God...?

"I have learned how to love. And it's a terrible thing. I'm broken. My heart is broken. Help me."
Do we ever think about love this way?

"You must be filled with expectancy. You must be awash in hope. You must wonder who will love you, whom you will love next."
Is this how we should live?

(the beginning quote) "The heart breaks and breaks/and lives by breaking./It is necessary to go/through dark and deeper dark/and not to turn."--Stanley Kunitz
Sobering.

5 comments:

lauriannjane said...

I'm so excited that you have a blog, Leta. Your entries will help me to connect to the young adult readers at the store. That's an area where I am woefully deficient. I think Stanley Kunitz is a wonderful poet. I'm "bookmarking" your blog and look forward to reading more. You're an awesome niece.

ellie said...

Leta,
"The Miraculous Journey. . ." is on my list of books to buy. It looks so good. I saw it at grandma's house but didn't read it there, I wanted to wait until I got my own cozy copy. I love book sales too. My libary is having their semi-annual sale at the end of September. I wish you all lived closer so you could go.

littlegrammie said...

Welcome to the world of blogging, Leta. Isn't it fun?? Used book sales are my passion and my weakness. I cannot pass them up. I too love the feeling of coming home with a stack of fresh reading material. The bigger the stack the happier I am. I rarely buy a book for myself at a real bookstore.

We have The MIraculous Journey... in our library at school. I LOVE it. Unfortunately, it hardly ever is checked out. That is so sad. The kids don't know what they are missing. I bought a copy for Grandma because I loved it so much and I thought she would enjoy reading a book that makes you feel good all over.

Beth said...

Hurrah! It's a Letablog!

I really like Because of Winn-Dixie by the same author...haven't read Edward Tulane yet, but I'll have to check it out...

Amanda said...

*loves Leta's blog* And the quotes are very thought provoking...*thinks hard* *thinks very hard* EXPLODES!!!!:)